EIN 54-1240348

The Doorways

IRS 501(c) type
Num. employees
Year formed
Most recent tax filings
NTEE code, primary
The Doorways provides a healing, emotionally supportive environment for those who need to be close to the hospital but not far from the feeling of "home.".
Also known as...
Hospital Hospitality House of Richmond
Total revenues
Total expenses
Total assets
Num. employees

Program areas at The Doorways

Hospital Hospitality House dba The Doorways provides an average of 50,000 nights of lodging to approximately 10,000 children, adults and veterans in medical crisis each year. The Doorways is The second largest Hospitality House in The country and The largest to run primarily on donations. The organiation accepts donations and contributions from guests, referral partners, individuals, foundations, corporations and civic organizations. A $15.00 per person per night donation is suggested of all guests, but not required. No one is ever turned away because of their inability to make this donation (51% of our guests are unable to make The $15 suggested donation). The cost of fully serving one guest for one night is approximately $50.the facility accepts guests referred from ten referral partners, including eight Richmond hospitals: vcu health, The mcguire veterans affairs medical center, children's Hospital of Richmond at vcu health, The world pediatric project, Virginia treatment center for children, vibra Hospital, retreat Hospital, sheltering arms physical rehabilitation Hospital, healthsouth rehabilitation Hospital and veritas collaborative. There are 115 guest rooms and dedicated pediatric and transplant floors to meet The special needs of children and transplant patients. The average stay is 7 nights, with many critical or transplant patients requiring weeks- or months-long stays. Guest amenities include private bedrooms with private accessible bathrooms, free downtown parking, transportation to vcu health, access to prepared meals and fully stocked kitchens, donated food for cooking meals, library, communal television room, dining room, chapel, exercise room, guest-administered laundry, and social workers. Services are rendered 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. Approximately 75% of our guests are from Virginia. The remaining 25% come from all across The united states and 31 countries.

Who funds The Doorways

Grants from foundations and other nonprofits
American Online Giving FoundationGeneral Support$27,427
Massey FoundationUnrestricted$25,000
Fidelity Investments Charitable Gift FundFor Grant Recipient's Exempt Purposes$22,050
...and 25 more grants received totalling $256,437

Personnel at The Doorways

Stacy BrinkleyPresident and Chief Executive Officer$173,724
Shawn WalkerChief Financial Officer$121,536
John BrooksDirector of Operations$105,291
Leslie Hintz FlanarySecretary$0
Blair NelsenChair$0
...and 4 more key personnel

Financials for The Doorways

RevenuesFYE 06/2020
Total grants, contributions, etc.$1,689,506
Program services$0
Investment income and dividends$183,113
Tax-exempt bond proceeds$0
Royalty revenue$0
Net rental income$0
Net gain from sale of non-inventory assets$69,757
Net income from fundraising events$-22,922
Net income from gaming activities$0
Net income from sales of inventory$0
Miscellaneous revenues$1,221,400
Total revenues$3,140,854

Form 990s for The Doorways

Fiscal year endingDate received by IRSFormPDF link
2020-062021-02-19990View PDF
2019-062019-11-23990View PDF
2018-062018-12-22990View PDF
2017-062017-11-22990View PDF
2016-062017-01-06990View PDF
...and 6 more Form 990s
Data update history
August 3, 2022
Received grants
Identified 8 new grant, including a grant for $20,000 from VCU Medical Center Auxiliary
September 23, 2021
Received grants
Identified 7 new grant, including a grant for $27,427 from American Online Giving Foundation
August 22, 2021
Posted financials
Added Form 990 for fiscal year 2020
April 28, 2021
Posted financials
Added Form 990 for fiscal year 2019
April 3, 2021
Updated personnel
Identified 3 new personnel
Nonprofit Types
Public health orgsHealth organizationsHeadquarter / parent organizationsCharities
Fundraising eventsState / local levelReceives government fundingEndowed supportCommunity engagement / volunteeringTax deductible donations
General information
612 E Marshall St
Richmond, VA 23219
Metro area
Richmond, VA
Richmond city, VA
Website URL
(804) 828-6901
Facebook page
Twitter profile
IRS details
Fiscal year end
Taxreturn type
Form 990
Year formed
Eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions (Pub 78)
NTEE code, primary
E86: Patient Services
NAICS code, primary
622: Hospitals
Parent/child status
Central organization
Free account sign-up

Want updates when The Doorways has new information, or want to find more organizations like The Doorways?

Create free Cause IQ account